Vision, Mission, and Objectives
The Global Water Alliance envisions a world where all people have access to safe drinking water and sanitation; a world free of suffering from water – and sanitation- related diseases.
The mission of the Global Water Alliance is to increase global access to safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene services, engaging the resources and expertise of the Philadelphia region and beyond.
Objective: Implement, through partnerships, Water/Sanitation Projects around the World
- Provide drinking water, sanitation, and hygiene services to 100,000 people in the developing world, either through direct GWA-lead projects in partnership with local, in-country NGO’s, or by significant assistance to other organizations. (Note: these services could include installing equipment to allow access to water/sanitation, implementing hand-washing programs, and providing hygiene education programs.)
- Provide the services noted above, directly and indirectly, in countries where GWA members and partners have developed, or can develop, successful partnerships for project implementation, ensuring long term sustainability.
- Provide “governance” assistance, through contract with development organizations such as USAID, World Bank, etc., to water and sanitation service providers, governments, and community systems of all sizes. (Note: this could include such things as the establishment of a pricing system, development of a legal framework for water/sanitation, and implementation of a community participation program).
- Develop the organization as a hub in a network system, connecting multiple disciplines and sectors including universities (and the various schools within universities), private and public providers of water and sewer service, consultants and agencies with expertise in water and waste water management, industries of the Philadelphia Region, government and non-government organizations (NGOs), funding sources and others.
- Develop the organization as a model and present the model to other cities in the developed world, encouraging the development of organizations similar in design and purpose to GWA.
- Provide services through partnering with NGO’s, service organizations ( eg. Rotary), contractors and aid agencies engaged in providing safe drinking water, adequate sanitation and hygiene education to people of the world who lack these services and knowledge.
- Develop and utilize the technical expertise and knowledge resources available within the GWA network and apply these multi-disciplined resources towards the advancement of the Mission and Objectives.
- Promote greater public awareness of global water and sanitation issues, problems and their solutions, utilizing multiple means of communications. including a speaker’s bureau, conferences, a web site, emails, reports and newsletters. In so doing, the visibility and reputation of GWA will be enhanced.
- Advocate on behalf of those who need safe drinking water and adequate sanitation.